What is palliative care?
Palliative care is a holistic approach for individuals of any age who have a chronic, life-limiting illness. The Palliative Care team works with a patient’s physician to determine the best medical plan of care.
At this time, the Center for Comprehensive Palliative Care serves patients in Marion County, Florida, at the three local hospitals, in contracted nursing homes, and even in some patients’ homes
How does palliative care help?
The Palliative Care team can be called to:
- Aid in pain and symptom management
- Assist with relief of suffering – physical, emotional or psychosocial
- Discuss the course of disease and goals of care
- Assist attending physician, patient or family with clarification of development of palliative plan of care
- Help establish the best possible quality of care as determined by patient and family
- Offer emotional support to patient and family, including anticipatory grief and bereavement counseling
- Review and complete documentation of advance directives
- Explain pros and cons of forgoing specific treatment and/or diagnostic treatments
- Facilitate transition to alternate care settings, such as home, nursing home or hospice when appropriate
Palliative care addresses the patient’s medical, emotional and spiritual needs. It offers support to patients and their caregivers. We encourage open discussion between patients, families and health care professionals in determining the patient’s goals and medical plan of care. As a patient’s disease progresses, the palliative care team adjusts its support services as those needs change. Palliative care makes a better quality of life possible for patients and their loved ones by providing the best possible plan of care.
Who can receive palliative care?
Patients with chronic, long-term or life-limiting illnesses are appropriate for palliative care. It is available to help with pain management, relief of suffering and education on their disease progression and prognosis.
Family members are included in the plan of care. The palliative care team provides support and information to them as well as the patient.
Visit The Center for Palliative Care/Availacare at www.marionpalliativecare.com